Tuesday 25 January 2011

Green Fruit Pastilles?

Not my favourite Fruit Pastilles by a long shot (& I can't stand the black ones) but this jam I made for the Market Drayton Christmas Farmers Market could definitely change my way of thinking!

I promised ages ago to share this recipe for kiwi fruit, lime & ginger jam and, while the fruit hasn't been gathered or foraged locally, I did take advantage of the shop's Ooops-ies & bought fruit that otherwise would've been wasted. My conscience hasn't totally been assuaged but the jam is outstanding in flavour so I think I'll allow myself this small indulgence.

The jam is a really vibrant green colour. It flew off our market stall. I dare say a few eyebrows would be raised at many breakfast tables Christmas morning!

Kiwi Fruit, Lime & Ginger Jam

1kg Jam Sugar (with added pectin)
800g kiwi fruit (about 20 kiwis)
6 limes
50g root ginger peeled & grated

Peel & chop the kiwi fruits, zest & juice the limes.
Put into a large pan along with the grated ginger.
Cook gently for about 20 minutes.


Add the sugar to the fruit & bring gradually to the boil.
Keep boiling for about 5 minutes, watching to ensure it doesn't boil over
or catch on the bottom of the pan.

Test for setting point by putting a put a blob of jam on a chilled saucer, leave for a moment, then gently push with your finger. If the surface of the jam wrinkles the jam is ready. If it hasn't set cook for a further couple of minutes & re-test.




Pour into hot sterilised jars!

Great on toast of course but wouldn't it be great as a cheesecake topping?

No comments:

Post a Comment